Okay, I know I promised not to bombard your inboxes with messages, and I will still hold to that, but this is a very important message!
Tomorrow, Saturday November 7th, is DONATION DAY! We NEED YOU and your help! The goal this year is to hit $75,000 in donations in 24 hours. It’s a lofty goal but COMPLETELY doable!
So, why should you donate? You’re probably, NaNo doesn’t really do much for you, right? You do all the writing, planning of the write-ins, etc. But what you may not know is what NaNo does behind the scenes, not just for people like you, but for hundreds of thousands of kids across the globe! You can read a little bit about where the money goes on the Why Donate? page, but I’ll give you some examples, too:
- Shipping costs: donor goodies, classroom kits, ML kits and thank-you goodies, in addition to needing to be purchased (a not insignificant expense!), also need to be shipped—and we need to pay staff to do that shipping. This is over $100,000 right here.
- Web hosting fees, despite an Amazon Web Hosting grant, is a significant expense. That is only hosting. No tech staff, no development, no improvement, no design, just straight up keeping our websites up and running. This, too, is over $100,000 each year alone.
Crazy expensive, right? And none of that is even talking about employee salaries and such. Yikes!
So how can you help?
Tomorrow, for Donation Day, NaNoWriMo is running some great promotions. We are calling the day #DoubleUpDay.
The full daily schedule is laid out on the Donation Day page, including links to convert the times to your own time zone, but the gist of it is that we’ll be tweeting non-stop all day from @nanowrimo, as well as hosting three live-stream events. Two of those (at 9 AM and 3 PM PST) will be our Virtual Write-Ins, where we give prompts and encourage people to write and chat and have a good time while getting a lot written.
The third, at 12 PST, is a webcast with NaNoWriMo author of The Lunar Chronicles, Marissa Meyer!
Each hour will have a prize, which anyone who donates in that hour is eligible for. There is no limit to how many times in a day someone can donate if they want to try for more than one prize! You can see the full list of prizes on the Donation Day page.
Here’s how the Double-Up side of things works:
- Double your donation: give $25 and receive the $50 donor goodies.
- Double your donation (again): look for dollar matches from our friends and sponsors at key hours during the day. We have a total of $14,000 in matching gifts from Marissa Meyer, Verizon, Emily Bristow, an anonymous donor, and 750 Words. These matching gifts will be announced throughout the day and are a really powerful tool to boost donations.
- Double your current word count, or whatever you normally write in a day. Use the community’s shared momentum to get a jump on your imminent win.
- Double your noveling karma by halo-ing a fellow Wrimo. Just enter their username and they’ll be sporting new profile hardware within 24 hours. (You can do this for as many friends as you’d like!)
When you make a donation, don’t forget to check with your employer to see if they will match your donation! May employers do this—every little bit helps!
And last, but by no means least, for the DENVER REGION, I am looking for the person who donates the most as of tomorrow night midnight and that person will receive a very special prize pack from yours truly (Niassa). Oh yes, my friends, this is something specific to JUST OUR REGION and you don’t want to miss out!
Thank you all! I look forward to seeing our Donation numbers spike!
Write on? RIGHT ON!