Reaching 50k isn’t enough, my friends. Not for an official win! No, you must VALIDATE!!! Only validating your words will get you that beautiful purple bar and all those phenomenal Winner’s Goodies!
Don’t know how to validate? Here’s a quick step-by-step guide:
- Go to: http://www.nanowrimo.org/dashboard
- Scroll down the page just a little to where your word count graph is. To the right of the graph, under the field where you can update your Word Count, is a link that reads “Check your official word-count total” Click this link.
- Copy and paste your novel into the validator.
- Select the Validate button.
- The validator will tell you your official word-count total—if it’s over 50k, your bar will turn purple and you will be labeled an official WINNER!
That’s all there is to it!
Now, some people are concerned about copying their novel and pasting it into the site. I can tell you that they do not keep this text—it is just run through a word counting program in the back-end and then dumped. If you are still concerned, you can obfuscate your text and copy and paste that up instead. Simply Google up the directions by searching for obfuscate and NaNoWriMo to find more information on how to do this.
We can’t wait to see all of your purple bars!
Niassa and Katharine Swan