Holy cow, it’s October! And just a bit shy over a week INTO October. Where’d the time go?!
But, since it’s October, you know what that means, right?
NaNoWriMo is right around the corner!! Woohoo! Let me offer fair warning that this email will be long. I apologize, but there’s a LOT to cover.
First, the new site.
Hopefully, many of you have checked out the new site. I know there’s still quite a bit of bugs that are being worked out, and the site is definitely laid out quite differently. There’s really two sites/sections:
- we have the main site where all of the main NaNo information is laid out
- we have the forums site where all of the forums (including Regional forums) are
On the main site, if you go to the Denver Region page, it looks like there’s a little chat box on there and many have thought that’s our talking/forum space. It’s very confusing to not have an easy access link to the forums, so click here for easy forum access.
On our Region page on the main site, there’s a list of links on the side (on computer, it’s on top in mobile view) for our Facebook, Twitter, blog page, and we’ve included a direct link to the forums, in case you need it.
Please make sure you at least log in to the new site and to the new forums site ASAP. Some things to note about the new site:
- Yes, your buddies are, unfortunately, gone with the new site. There was no way for the developers to incorporate that into the code. However, you can still access the old site and find a list of your buddies there and manually add them on the new site. I know this is a super tedious process, especially if you have a gazillion buddies, but it is the only option at this time.
- The forums were originally hosted on the NaNo server, but they found that it just couldn’t handle our traffic (we’re a big group of international people who do a lot of writing, both in our manuscripts and out), so they’ve moved the forums to the Discourse server (Discourse is the name of the forum software/platform that is being used). The move was completed yesterday and access to the forums has now been re-granted. I can tell you they’re moving MUCH faster than before.
- These new forums have a LOT of really cool options. I highly recommend taking the time to complete the little discobot tutorial that’s available on the forums site to acquaint yourself with all the new features… and I even more highly recommend doing this before November 1! If you have major questions, please feel free to reach out to one of us.
- You can earn various badges in the forums that are different than the badges earned on the main site. Take a look at some of these, because they can be pretty fun.
- Make sure you have your current email address and information set up in your profile on both the main site and the forums site. This is very important to ensure you receive timely information specific for our region!
Kick-off party, write-ins, and the Stanley Getaway
The kick-off party has been set and we’re just waiting for 10/31 to get here!
- Date: October 31, 2019
- Time: 10pm to 2am
- Location: Enchanted Grounds, Highlands Ranch (8800 S Colorado Blvd, Highlands Ranch, CO 80126)
- Details: Costumes always welcome! Bring a dish/snack to share with others. Attendees will receive a special goodie bag. Limited edition, even. 😉 Socialize and get to know your other Wrimos/Nanos (whichever term you prefer) for the first couple of hours, and then we begin to write at the stroke of midnight and try to get a good head start on our writing for the month.
We are deep into planning the Stanley Getaway for this year; however, the dates are coming up VERY quickly. We have two weekends that we are trying to decide between, and we need your help to determine which weekend is best, and if it should be one night or two nights. We have a post in the new forums dedicated to this topic; if you’re interested in joining us for the Stanley Getaway (or would like more information) please head over to the post and give us your feedback! There’s a poll in there, as well.
Regional Write-ins are being planned and we’ve had many submissions for wrimo-hosted write-ins on the new Event Calendar on our Region Page on the new main site. If you have a write-in that you’d like added to the calendar(s), the easiest/best thing you can do is to add an event to the Event Calendar. We have instructions on how to do that in this post. Regional write-ins are being formed and added to the calendar every day, so be sure to check back often. We will do our best to accommodate as many areas around the Metro area so there will hopefully be at least one write-in close to you each week. And if there isn’t one officially scheduled near you, you’re always welcome to make one yourself and get others in your area to come!
Please note that this Event Calendar will be kept as up to date as we can, but it does have some clunkiness with it as they work out some bugs. We do still have our official Denver NaNoWriMo Region Google Calendar that we will keep updated, as well. If you’re interested in syncing this calendar with your own Google Calendar and/or devices, you can view it here.
There is also a post in the forums that has this Google calendar displayed in it. You can view that post here.
Speaking of Events such as official write-ins (official means it’s hosted by one of the regional MLs), kick-off party, TGIO party, getaways, etc… we will have these Events also posted on our Facebook Page. If you’re active on Facebook and would like to get Event reminders, that may be a good way to do it. Those Events should be updated on all calendars (including Facebook Events) within the next week or so.
I think that’s about it, at least for this first email. I don’t know about y’all, but I’m super excited for NaNo this year, and we MLs have some awesomeness in store for you. Please know that we understand there’s a lot of frustrations around the new site(s), the bugs therein, and figuring out some of the functionality. We share in that. But we truly believe once all the little things are worked out, the site is going to be great. If for no other reason than actual mobile responsiveness! (Okay, maybe I’m the only one who was frustrated by the old site on mobile… but still… 😉 )
Please feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns and we will do what we can to address them for you. We want NaNo to be great for everyone!
In the meantime, let’s get some prepping going and hit this November with great purpose!